Allerton Damp Proofing are experts at damp proofing in Leeds.
Long-term guarantees issued with our work
More than 35 years in business to-date
Vetted and checked by our Trade Bodies
0% Finance Available
Finance plans of up to 10 years available
DAMP PROOFING IN LEEDS
Damp Specialists Leeds
Allerton Damp Proofing are established and experienced damp proofers, with over 30 years of experience in the field. We offer damp proofing Leeds services throughout the city, tailoring the treatment completely to your building. Our damp proofing Leeds services are the best in all of West Yorkshire, offering:
- Quotations and surveys.
- Chemical damp proof course installation.
- Specialist tanking and plastering systems.
- Cavity drainage membrane systems.
- Cellar waterproofing and conversion.
Leeds is full of fantastic buildings, culture and people. From homes to commercial properties, there are various buildings that need to be protected from damp. Our damp proofing Leeds specialists are happy to work on both homes and commercial properties, understanding that every building needs to be treated uniquely and individually. Leeds has buildings from several decades over hundreds of years, and every building will require specialist and unique care to prevent deterioration of the property. Our Leeds damp proofers are experts in their field, so you can trust them to leave you with the best possible outcome.
Causes of damp
Leeds Damp Proofers
Allerton Damp Proofing have been damp proofing for more than 30 years. Providing high quality property repair and improvement services throughout Leeds and the wider Yorkshire area, you can be assured that your home is in safe hands when choosing us. No matter what the damp issue is, we are happy to help. We provide a completely free survey to our damp proofing Leeds customers, allowing us to get an understanding of what needs to be done to fix the issue in your property.
Rising damp is the most well known of the two varieties of damp that can affect Leeds’ homes and commercial properties. It describes the process wherein water permeates upwards through a building’s brickwork (or other material) through a mechanism called ‘capillary action’. This describes the way holes or damage draws up water due to changing pressures, in a similar way to how plants pull up water from their roots. When the moisture has infiltrated the wall from the ground, it then spreads outwards and causes further damage.
Rising damp damages any surfaces of walls or floors (both timber and other material) which it comes into contact with. You can see it as it causes wrinkling of your wallpaper, peeling paintwork, and damp and discoloured patches. It’s vital the problem is addressed as soon as you notice it in order to prevent the expense of repair increasing with further damage. We provide free damp surveys in Leeds to ensure we get to the bottom of any problem you may have. Our damp proofing Leeds CSRT surveyors are experienced and can pinpoint the cause of your rising damp as well as recommend the best way to treat it. Our technicians are PCAQ trained and experts at completing damp proofing (and associated jobs) with excellence and respect for your space.
Penetrating damp is another type of damp that affects a large number of buildings. It’s a key problem for cellars and basements which have earth retaining walls (walls surrounded by earth). While rising damp occurs because the base of the wall is in contact with the damp ground, penetrating damp occurs as the whole wall is in contact with moisture. It means that its effects can be more widespread or happen quicker. Water penetrates the brickwork from the outside and, through capillary action, soaks into the wall, reaching the inside. It creates a very cold and unpleasant environment in which mould often follows.
It’s possible to have penetrating damp affect other walls. Broken guttering, cracked render or brickwork, or damaged window sills can all lead to this form of damp. Allerton can help. Our damp proofing Leeds is undertaken by local, Yorkshire experts. Get in touch with us today to book your free survey.
Many issues can arise when damp is left untreated. These issues are detrimental for your property, and by using our damp proofing Leeds services you can prevent this from happening. Damp areas create the ideal environment for various destructive elements to occur. This includes:
- Wet rot: The fungus Coniophora puteana causes wet rot decay to occur in timber that has become damp and been left untreated. The growth begins in wood where there has been a consistent moisture content above 20%, allowing the fungus to form fruiting bodies which disperse clouds of spores. The timber is attacked by the fungus breaking down the damp timber to feed on, helping the wet rot to grow and further destroy the timber.
- Woodworm: The Common Furniture Beetle (CFB) is the most common variation of woodworm to affect properties today. They like to infest and feed on a range of timber, whether it’s in your furniture or provides structural support for your building. CFB are much more likely to infest timber that is damp or moist, therefore commonly attacking where there has been a damp issue. If you have penetrating or rising damp, you are much more likely to receive an attack from woodworm.
- Dry rot: Due to the speed at which it can destroy wood and materials, dry rot is the most serious of all timber decay. Dry rot can occur in a building of any age, though it generally occurs where there has been damp for an extended period of time. Dry rot has a unique ability to take water from a source, this allowing it to grow to outer extremities rather than staying solely on the damp area. This makes it a lot more dangerous as much more of your property can be damaged and destroyed. It can also penetrate mortar and plaster, allowing the fungus to also affect large sections of wall.
Damp Treatments in Leeds
Interested in finding out more about our damp proofing Leeds services? We would love to chat with you about your damp proofing, rot or condensation problems and to provide you with a professional and lasting solution. For more information, give us a call on 0330 111 3377 or fill out our contact form and a member of our customer services team will get in touch.
If you’d like to meet with us in Leeds to discuss your damp proofing needs, you can arrange to do so at:
Allerton Damp Proofing
9 Park Square E,
Allerton Damp Proofing Leeds
I’VE FOUND DAMP, WHAT SHOULD I DO?
How much does damp proofing cost?
It varies considerably in price according to each individual project that we undertake. It’s always the best idea to have an expert visit your home or property to see the areas in need of treatment. They can then advise you on the cost. We always give full quotations and estimates before beginning work and can talk through the best choice for your budget.
How long does damp proofing take?
The answer varies upon the size of the job, but usually, for a reasonably small project, it could be completed in as little as 2-5 working days. We advise that any treated and plastered walls are left to dry for a good period of time before being redecorated.